Here are some examples of when using “please” is necessary:
- When requesting something…May I use your telephone, please?
- Giving instructions to make the order more polite…Please fill in this form
- Confirming help…Would you like to come with us? - Yes, please.
- When navigating your way through a crowd…Please, excuse me. Thank you.
When not to use please”…
- As a response to someone saying thank You…Thank you. Please
- Telling someone something….I am going to the store.
Here are some examples of when saying “Thank You” is necessary:
- When a compliment is given…You're a fantastic tennis player!
- To accept and/or refuse an offer…Would you like something to drink?
Thank you. I'd like a cola, please. Do you want to join us at the concert tonight?
No thank you. I need to study!
- When buying/giving someone a cup of coffee….”Thank you.”
- When someone does something nice for you
When saying “Thank You” is not necessary:
- When someone does something unkind to you.
- When someone refuses to acknowledge your presence.
- When someone rushes past you shoving you as they go by.
Can you think of situations when you should use these terms? Practice and share with others how it’s going.