Why should we be gracefully honest? Among other things, …
- We want others to think well of us. We don’t want to feel embarrassment or shame.
- We want to protect our image. We don’t want others to think that we are a failure and fail to act courageously.
- We don’t want to waste our energy unnecessarily doing something we don’t want to do.
- We feel good about ourselves because our conscience is clear.
- Others will trust us and in so doing, we become trustworthy.
- Our judgement about decision making is sound.
- We are happier in our daily interactions because we are not worried about hiding something we don’t want others to know.
It’s good to note here the the person who practices being dishonest will reap the opposite benefits of being honest. Dishonest people can tell you that most often, they live a life of misery. They are always worried about their daily interactions, not sure about how their day will go from second to second. They spend more time trying to figure out ways to cover up one deception after another. Who really wants to live in this state?
Being gracefully honest, allows one to be engaged in more pleasant exchanges with others, which will eventually lead to more fulfilling relationships. Who wouldn’t want that? Go out and get your feelings of tranquility on!