Questions to Ask: What will you do? How will you handle _______? Where will you go? Who will you call? How do you get out?
Some things to start doing now…
- Discuss what an emergency/disaster is with your child. Let them know it’s always good to be prepared and how they should react.
- Make and emergency plan.
- Create and share contact information. Let them know the people in your circle will be safe to be with.
- Discuss when to use the 911 number.
- Rehearse, rehearse, rehearse. You must practice possible emergency situations.
- Tell kids to always be aware of their surroundings.
- Tell kids not to panic when something happens. They need to be able to think clearly so they will be able to protect themselves and solve problems.
- Teach disaster vocabulary…definition, examples.
Repeat, Repeat, Repeat.
Some sources to consider: https://www.thetoddle.com/prepping-for-emergencies/;