So how do I try to handle this or what might you do to not respond to negativity? If you are wanting to be more effective in your communication, then as often as possible…
- Let the person know you understand how they feel. Validate their thoughts. Say, “I understand how/why you feel that say.”…
- Find some place to agree with the person. You may not agree with everything, but they may be Abel to redirect their response in another way.
- Find out if there is anything positive in the view/comment and reinforce that.
- Find out what they are positive about and reinforce that.
- Ignore. You can be aware of what is said or read, but do not respond
- Respond with a positively. Say something nice in return.
Acting in a rude manner is very easy to do for most of us. You don’t have to think about being polite, it’s a “free for all!” Anything can happen, and anything goes. It’s more difficult for us to exercise some control about what we say or do. If your goal is to keep your “good” reputation intact, then practice being kind and watch how you respond to negativity or negative people. Remember when communication gets confrontational and emotions are heightened, this is the time you need to take a breath and think before you speak. Let’s try…breath and carry on with your positive and happy self!